Monday, August 15, 2011

Filling the last five days

  This is goodbye week for our family, as Emily will fly to Michigan for her senior year of high school.  I have intense feelings about this.  However, when thinking about all the parents who are sending their teens to college this year, I feel a sense of hope and comfort.  I have hope that when the time comes for higher education, we might be having a homecoming instead of a tearful goodbye. 

But a year is a long time, and there are many paths to choose.  I realize that one day I'll be standing here and they'll both be off living adult lives. 

Staying present in the everyday moments is all I can do.  The truth is that sometimes I practice avoidance because I feel nagged.     

So I'm here and not here and it's okay.  

I might have to avoid the blog while we make this transition.   I once read that a good way to prime the artist's well is to go on a reading hiatus and to absorb images and feelings instead of text.  The end of summer seems like a good time to experience a week of reading deprivation. 

I look forward to reading your posts and comments on my return, because you will be missed!  

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I strongly wish for your lovely Emily wonderful days both study and life experience at her senior year of high school.
    Yes, take a break as long as you wish. If you feel so, it must be the time☆☆☆
    Lots of love and Hugs xoxo, Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never easy giving them their butterfly wings...! Hang in there...enjoy your break and know wings help them fly in many directions. Often they return home to rest the wings and warm your heart!

    Loves~Loves~Loves~

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sure you will miss her greatly! i remember when amy went to navy boot camp. i thought i was going to go nuts, and i still had keith at home. he was older than elliot is, but i still missed my girl. you'll do fine, though.

    what's in michigan? is that where you're from or just a good school there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absorbing images and feelings instead of text sounds good to me. I can imagine how you must be feeling Jenny. I will be thinking of you, and you will surely be missed, but we will all be waiting for you when you come back my friend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with everything. In my experience, it's very hard to have your children go off to school. It's pretty intense for a week or two. Gradually, after a few calls, communication is established, they settle in, and life resumes a rhythm. And then it's hard to get used to the commotion of them being home again! (But that's always a happier transition!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    Glad you stopped by my Blog and said hello and decided to FOLLOW. I am doing the same for you.
    I'll be baaaack when you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess we are in the same place....the only way to get through this transistion is to reach out, let other women nurture you, and laugh!! We have to laugh, we have to find the rainbow, the funny, and the purpose.
    I have been a mother for 30 years....now I will have to find a way to be a different mother.
    Where are the bread crumbs?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for coming by my blog...thank you for joining and good luck on your sojourn!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agghh!!! I know a little how you feel. My 17-year-old leaves Saturday for a semester away at a boarding school. This was not my idea and I keep hoping she'll change her mind. Hoping both our girls have good school years and that we're able to stay emotionally close even though we're not physically close.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post always touch my heart.. one of mine is off to college this year and my last one graduated high school and moved out this summer. It has truly been a summer of so many emotions in so many extremes. *hugs* We will be good!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!