Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Some Quiet Thoughts




















































These beautiful deer arrived in our neighborhood just before sundown. Emily took these photos while I watched the fawn eating an apple, tossing it around playfully.  It reminded me that animals in the wild engage in play.   Currently scientists are researching these occurrences in nature to gain insight into the role that play has in our lives.   Perhaps it's quite obvious to us that play naturally heals our self destructive tendencies, but our overworked culture ignores ideas that don't come with the stamp of scientific research.

Perhaps the fawn's play was a reminder for me to slow down and relax. Lately I haven't felt inspired to play.  This has to do with the discovery of a job opportunity.  After spending many tense hours working on my resume, I realized that I am not qualified for the position. The job title was "Digital Communications Coordinator"  which would have been a good fit for my degree in English.  I was excited about the idea of writing for a college website. However, I felt I was unqualified for the additional expectation of managing the institution's intranet.   I have no formal training in the digital part of communications. I have no idea how to describe my skills in the necessary terms. There is no time to meet to meet with someone before the deadline, which is today. I'm letting it pass and I don't know if I'll regret this decision.

I also realized that even if I were hired, I intend to keep moving forward with my business.  I want it to someday take me places and challenge me to be more actively engaged in life. 

All this was going on in my head when I remembered that there are less than twenty days before Emily returns to school up north.  She'll be a senior this year. I have less than twenty days to tell her how much I love her in person.  To be here at home with enough energy and time to enjoy living together.  I'm sad that we have to start making plans for her return. 

5 comments:

  1. I feel peaceful when I am looking at deer and realize to that we need to play sometimes and enjoy life instead of staying tensed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it can be easy to forget the important things in our lives - the REALLY important things. Our head gets filled wish so much other stuff. I'm sorry the job didn't work out for you after all, but there's no harm in continuing to keep a look out at what job opportunities are out there.Hugs to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I related to this post so much....you are so right about needing to slow down and enjoy the 'now'. I often have to remind myself of this.
    You have a beautiful blog, I look forward to following and getting some good ideas for my own family to enjoy :)

    Gems x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a lovely fawn and happy to heaar that the beautiful deer helped you to be relaxed.
    I agree other's comments and I feel we sometimes entitled to enjoy our life. There will be another job opportunity pops up soon.
    Being with your beautiful daughter and family will be wonderful♬

    Love, xoxo Orchid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, here I am, working backwards through your posts...and so now I already KNOW that things have changed in other ways for you (cf Sweetie's comment), which just goes to show that THIS job was not meant to be. You have an opportunity now to follow your heart and continue developing Knees and Paws in a new direction. Also, with Emily soon "leaving home" you do not have the "intrusion" that you'd have had with making career-changing decisions and so, you're able to focus fully on her and tell her and show her all the things in your heart. These times are PRECIOUS and will be over in the blink of an eye. Live in the moment and cherish the time you and Emily have right now, because you will not get it back again.

    Also, I know that you are now practising a new daily (I hope?) mantra of expecting good things to happen, and so, they will! Don't be impatient. Don't try to force things. Life happens as and when it is meant to, if we allow it to.

    I follow another blogger who recently shared her experiences with a fawn and her intuitive belief that the fawn was there to act as a messenger. I think nature offers us lots of opportunities to learn if we'd only allow ourselves to be open to the possibility.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!