Saturday, September 10, 2011

A New Discipline

A few weeks before my father died, I was blessed with one last good phone conversation on his birthday.  I remember his voice saying "discipline is a routine that comes to feel natural."   I was struck by it then because I had never thought of the word discipline in that way before.  Until that time I associated discipline with authoritarian, corporal punishment which usually came with a heap of shame.  This conversation with my father was a gift in many ways, but especially because I now have a new way of developing my potential. Through practicing challenging tasks until they come to feel like an ability I've always had, my life is taking on new shapes and internal comforts.  Developing new disciplines also helps me to set and keep a routine, which I find helpful as I'm independently employed.  The artist side of me usually resists routine, because it wants fresh images and experiences.  Yet since keeping a new routine of writing three long hand pages per day of a "morning pages" journal, I'm creating more.

This week, we started a new routine of going back to school, while also signing Elliot up for Tae Kwon Do.  For those of you who remember that I'm a peace loving Quaker, I've decided to let my personal philosophy be something that I arrived at...while allowing Elliot to enjoy the discovery of his own beliefs.  The new discipline of his class has been a great blessing for us.  Two days ago, his master gave him a bright and shiny new uniform with his first white belt.  Elliot is thrilled with it, and has already made a new friend who instantly engaged me after class with a request for a play date. 

Elliot acts taller in his new uniform and walks with a big-kid brand of confidence.


And while he's in class learning his first basic forms, I've gone back to running on the treadmill.  Writing and teaching, not to mention blogging and sewing....sometimes comes with an ever expanding stomach!  So it's a great feeling to run again.  When I first started running over ten years ago, I was only able to run for five minutes.  Since then I've been strong enough to keep going for over an hour and I know that if I really want to, there will be even longer runs in my future.


So if you have something that you've always wanted to do, think of developing that new discipline no matter that the first steps are wobbly and awkward.  Soon you will fly!

9 comments:

  1. What an excellent post! I used to pride myself on being self disciplined. I have become slack in certain areas of late, so this serves as a good reminder to me to change my ways. I have a Cross-trainer that my husband bought for me over three years ago. I used it conscientiously for a few months and loved feeling fit. I even lost a fair amount of weight, but I'm ashamed to say I have not been near it in well over a year now and have regained the weight loss, plus some! Elliot looks adorable in his new outfit and I love the poses! I admire your wise decision to allow him to find his own path. This is so important, yet many parents do not permit their children to choose freely and have beliefs and religious practices thrust upon them. No wonder so many later become rebellious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW I 'd fully intending saying how much I like your classroom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls all studied Tae Kwon Do when they where little and even though they never kept it up they did enjoy it when they where going........

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great philosophy about discipline today Jenny, and doesn't Elliot look proud in his new Tae Kwon Do uniform. My granddaughter started Tae Kwon Do when she was about 5 and did it for a couple of years, before they had to move to France. She absolutely loved it and still talks about it now (at nearly 14!). She really enjoyed getting her different colour belts. Her mum and dad thought it was good for discipline and self defence. My goodness, you must be pretty fit if you can go on your treadmill for an hour!! Hope you have a lovely weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. discipline is something that i struggle with as well. food. exercise. those are my struggles. i "know" what i need to do, but like a spoiled child i don't always do it.

    great way to look at it.

    elliot looks so cute in his suit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tae Kwon Do can be a good way of learning to discipline yourself, our nephew has done so well starting as a youngster now at 20 he is qualified to teach it. Good Luck to your son, I hope he enjoys it and does well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt awkward filling out the paperwork to begin my classes of college but as time goes on now I realize it was what I needed and am excited about the adventure. My oldest daughter Pam, has always been a tiny gal never getting over 100 lbs but having pain every day since she was a teenager. She had a friend who ran races and started running herself and has found that it helps with her muscle pain so she does it daily and has finished many races. I am really proud of her and you Jenny.
    Tell Elliot I think he looks awesome in that uniform.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear,Jenny.
    Oh, how LOVELY Elliot looks in his Tae Kwon Do uniform♡♡♡
    I guess your father must have influenced you in variety of ways. Wonderful father you got and splendid words!!!
    I am kind of under the weather now, but could not help write a comment in here♬♬♬
    Blessing to all of your family, Orchid.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!