Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Eternity

Here's a confession:  I feel boring.  Not bored, mind you-- but boring.  Not only boring, but low.  Down low.   Singing the blues low. Low and hollow at the same time.

I once wrote of this irony: the perfect and happy images that people send out into the world have unexpected effects.  Many times, instead of inspiring people, it brings them down.  We like to compare and this is a problem.

  I'm not down because of my friend's good fortunes or happiness.  I'm down because, well, it's difficult to explain.  And I know you are not my counselors or mental health professionals.

One of my favorite people, Patch Adams, once said "mental health professionals would be out of work if everyone had at least one good friend."  And I have many, many good friends.

But still it exists, this sense of boring that is close to pathos. It has been raining here for several days in a row.  I know I need to go outside and embrace the damp.  Take a long hike.  Ride my bike.  Plant some flowers.

So maybe I'll do that tomorrow.  Today is passing into night.  I've done the laundry, fixed a meal.  I've called my family and even had two lovely conversations with Emily.

 Perhaps this all comes from forgetting how much I have to be thankful for.  I'm not sure.


Remember being a child on a Sunday afternoon, when everyone went to church and had a big meal?  Then the adults would take long naps and everything was quiet?  Sunday afternoons wore on like a peaceful eternity.  It would have been nice except for that hollow feeling.  The feeling you get when you are intensely homesick.
I'm familiar with meditative practices that teach how to empty ourselves in order to receive.  I'm feeling this today.

In these small moments when things just take on a feeling of empty, I wonder if I'm being prepared for something.  I should be thankful because boring is a quality that's better than "dangerous" or "evil" or "risky."  I'm a slow train clacking through the open fields...wishing I was a plane.





 


4 comments:

  1. I have often felt like I am a boring person I think it is something most of use think at some point my daughters have recently said the same thing. Do I have a life yes I do I am not dead...........but is it an interesting life well who is the one to judge somepeople may think my life is boring others may not. I have moments I just want to go and do something outrageous just to see what people think

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting post Jenny. I think we all have these empty moments in life where we feel we are going nowhere or not progressing, or just plain boring! My students here in Malaysia always get mixed up with bored and boring. They often say "I am boring" and I reply "I wouldn't go that far!"

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
  3. very interesting. i'm sure i'm a boring person most of the time. when i do have friends who want to spend time with me, i'm actually surprised. it's kind of like a sally field moment when she's accepting her academy award... 'you like me! you really like me!'

    total surprise... i'd love to have more followers and comments on my blogs but i think my posts are too boring for most people. i'm totally thankful for the friends and followers that i do have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Very interesting post my friend, and I'm sorry that you are feeling that you are 'boring' at the moment, and that you are feeling low. That is an awful feeling and, sometimes, even though we try to be logical, and know how many blessings we have in our lives, it just doesn't make us feel any better at any particular time. I agree with Duncan, that I'm sure we all feel this 'emptiness' at different times. Some of us feel it more than others. I do agree with your second paragraph very much. It certainly doesn't help when we get days of rain :( Do hope you will feel a bit brighter soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!