Monday, March 12, 2012

No need to run

Contrary to this title, I literally have a need to run after two weeks of being inhabited by an alien life form, otherwise known as the common cold. The title of this post is not about the kind of running one does for strength and weight control.  It's about the kind of running one does from memories of the past. 

There's something in my past too personal for this medium of blogging. Without going into specific details, there was a collection of experiences lasting many years that set up a pattern of running.   No, I'm not running from the law (my life is not as exciting as a movie).

During a recent conversation with a close friend about my experience, I realized upon waking today that for some unexplained reason, I no longer feel like I need to run from the memory.  I'm completely surprised by the discovery that I am separate from those feelings once felt.

As the feelings once felt are now a memory detached from a "re run" experience of the emotion, I'm free.






9 comments:

  1. Good for you Jenny. I have had similar situations that followed me as well & it was not a pleasant feeling to say the least. You have way too much around you to enjoy to be bothered by something that has already passed. I rejoice with you this morning my sweet friend. Happy Monday to you and your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Odie, and you are right, there are so many things to celebrate now!

      Delete
  2. I'm delighted to know that this phenomenon has taken place, Jenny. Indeed we can choose to think of an unpleasant memory as a reel of film, a movie projected on a screen, one that we can control and manipulate, thereby diminishing its power over us. Memories of a traumatic experience are at first bright, vivid, large and right in your face. It's as if you're in the front row of a theater watching a scary movie. By utilizing the NLP technique known as a submodality shift you can transport yourself to the back row of the theater, turn the image from bright to dim, the colors from vivid to dull and the sound from loud to barely audible. You can even speed up the movie or run it backward for comic effect. In this manner you take control of the memory and distance yourself from its emotional impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Shady, I had not heard of the technique you describe but it sounds like a very useful means of detaching and moving on with life. I plan to practice it, knowing how many years I've wasted in a futile effort to escape from something that does not even exist in the present moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is the best news, Jenny! How wonderfully freeing and your gorgeous spring blossoms just highlight that perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you are now finally free, Jenny, after all this time. It must be a very liberating feeling for you. Loved the photos of the spring blossom. Hope your cold is now much better. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That so great you were able to do this. I'll have to do some thinking on this. There are a few unpleasant memories I keep avoiding also. It makes you tired trying to get away from them. Sounds like I need to try the Shady technique myself and face it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Jenny, that is truly wonderful news! I'm so very happy for you. I'm so sorry you had to deal with something that sad for so long, but what liberty now that it is truly gone. The only running you'll do now is what you do on your two legs. Beautiful pics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad that you have been freed from that memory. i have a few pieces of "history" myself that i have recently realized they can no longer hurt me. i still have to work through some of the effects of them but i'm no longer running from the memories.

    love the purple flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!