Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Singing for Ozzie

I used to sing every day.  I've never claimed to have a stellar voice, but from years of church going and teaching preschool, I had a collection of simple hymns and songs that I frequently used to comfort Emily when she was little.  She hated to sleep in her crib alone at night and hated it even more to be strapped in her car seat for long trips.  During those times, my singing would silence her crying.

When Elliot was born, I assumed that he would also be comforted by songs.  Apparently not.  As soon as he was speaking complete sentences, he looked at me with big blue eyes and said,

"Mom, don't sing. It bovvers me."



So I stopped singing, unless I was in the car by myself listening to Rob Thomas or Elton John.

Then, last night, while cuddled up in a blanket fort, I sang a silly song after reading a chapter of Elliot's new favorite book Lego, A Love Story.  The book is written for adults, but since the content is rated G and Elliot can easily follow the storyline, I chose it as a read aloud over the denser language of J.M Barrie's Peter Pan.  In the chapter we'd just finished, the inventor of LEGO had died  the same year he was awarded a patent.  Elliot was sad about that event and so to lighten the mood before sleep, I took a risk and sang something.

The song must have worked because his face lit up in a smile and he asked for another.  After the first lines of that song,  Ozzie came over and lay down by my side, licking my arm and sniffing my face.  I asked him if he wanted me to keep singing and his response was to rest his head on my chest to feel the vibration of the song.
During the next silly song, I inserted Ozzie's name into one of the lines.  He looked at my face and started licking me again.  I guess everyone, even pets, love the sound of their own names.  From then on, I sang nursery rhymes, inserting Ozzie's name into every song.

"The itsy bitsy Ozzie went up the water spout! Down came the rain and washed the Ozzie out!  Out came the sun and dried up all the rain, so the itsy bitsy Ozzie went up the spout again!"

Elliot laughed and Ozzie thumped his tail and gave me kisses, scooting himself onto my chest like a baby wanting to be held.  I guess it's better to have a crazy mom than one who is too sane to sing to a dog.

If anyone asks, the answer is yes.  I have officially gone mad.






6 comments:

  1. I love that picture of Ozzie! People and pets really do respond to the sound of their own name. My Toto even knows when I'm discussing her with someone else. Toto jerks her head around and looks at me when I use the personal pronoun "she" in reference to her.

    People love the sound of their own name as long as it's pronounced correctly. You can offend somebody without intending to by calling them by the wrong name or making up a nickname for them. In other words if a man introduces himself to you as Robert do not assume that it's okay to call him Bob. A girl named Patricia might take offense if you shorten her name to Patty. A girl who prefers to be called Patty might not like it if you call her Patricia because it might induce a "stack attack", a chain of unpleasant memories of times when authority figures using the formal version of her name while scolding her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww that is such a sweet story and I am so happy your singing is popular again. Have an awesome day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oohhhhh- I love this! Bless Ozzie's heart- I can just imagine how happy he was to hear his name in the beautiful music. Dogs are so smart- he knew he was being serenaded.

    I had to smile a little at little Elliot's comment. I'm so glad, now, though, that he's decided he likes it.

    I make up nonsense songs all the time and sing them. My teenaged daughter prays that I won't forget and break out in them when her friends are around...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this! We tried singing to my granddaughter Cherish when she was upset and she would get very angry. But she loved it when we put CMT country music on the TV. It always calmed her. Maybe it was our voices! I was just making up a song for my dog this morning. She seemed to like it. Thank you for the Birthday wishes, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful post. Isn't that nice that Elliot now likes you to sing to him. As for Ozzie, that really made me smile with you putting his name into all the little songs! I can still remember the songs that my dad used to sing to me, and then I sang them to my two daughters. I am now singing those same songs to my grandchildren, and they love them! Lovely post my friend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Lovely pic of Ozzie. Amazing how our pets truly feel and understand us. LOL@"it bovvers me", as there's nothing seemingly more brutal than a child's honesty. I can relate as once while driving to town with my granddaughter I partook in singing along with the tune playing on the radio and not even reaching the chorus she said to me "Papa, what did you do with the money your mom gave you?" I immediately turned and said "what money?" She turns to look out the window and states "the money she gave you for music lessons". :o| Later I found she got that from Grandma.

    Thanks for sharing and keep on a singin!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!