Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas isn't just for kids

Christmas isn't just for kids.  Last night we visited Meadow View, bearing gifts of a lantern house for our friend and neighbor Tom, and a little white lantern church for Elizabeth. 

Someone had been working very hard in the last week, because the place smelled fresh (er) and was decked out in pretty Christmas trees.  When we arrived, we found that Tom's hearing aid was being repaired, so communication had to take place in a flurry of writing on a spiral notebook.  Richard and Elliot climbed up on his bed, surrounding him with their love. We soon discovered that Tom's back was very sore, because his room lacked a chair.  He spent most of his time sitting upright in his bed with his feet dangling over the side.  So, while I went out to request that a chair be brought in, Richard gave Tom a good back rub.   Every so often, we saw a smile rise up from the corners of his lips.

After a while, seated in his new comfy chair, a meal that looked like green baby food arrived.  He said he didn't want to eat that and we probably wouldn't want to watch.  So we left with handshakes and promised to come back soon.

Next, we stopped my the room of our new friend Elizabeth to say Merry Christmas and to set up the little white Church on her nightstand.  What a thrill to surprise her! She was so delighted with that paper church....calling us Santa and Angels.  She wondered how we ever thought to make such a thing.  Then she told us stories of her daughter who is a preacher, and how God has been guiding her path since losing her other daughter and her husband. Even being stuck in a place like Meadowview, she continues to praise God and to be thankful.  She smiled nearly the whole time we were there.  Remember when I was touched by her claim "just me and God?"  Well, looking around her room, I discovered that Elizabeth indeed has a loving family who regularly visits.  Her shelves were packed with fresh flowers, her board covered in cards, a wreath hung on her wall, and pictures of her family were crammed in every available space.  Of course she would be loved and cherished.  So I learned a secret of life, that's really no secret at all...gratitude is a lifestyle, a way of life that we can choose.  It's the way I want to be.  And after last night, one of my long standing fears melted away.  I'm not afraid to grow old.     



6 comments:

  1. What a blessing you and your family are to friends. Thanks for sharing that special time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so moved that you went back to Meadow View. My parents resided in an Assisted Living Facility until they died. I was there every day until they were gone. The halls were filled with lonely elderly people. While my parents were with me it was easy to be kind and spend time with them. Since they've gone I can't bring myself to go back and share of my time. I'm going to try and work up the courage, but courage it is. They both were frightened and upset they had been taken away from their 'hometown', New Orleans before Katrina and had no place to return. They were relieved to be with family, but missed home and their friends of a lifetime. I don't have happy memories from there...perhaps I can make some for someone else. Oh I don't know if I can but I'll try...
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Odie and Sush, it was a rewarding experience for the three of us. My heart melts when I think of how compassionate Richard and Elliot are. I think I am brave because of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Jenny. How wonderful that the three of you went to visit Tom and Elizabeth. It must have brought them so much happiness, to know how much you care for them. So lovely that little Elliot and Richard are caring people like that. I used to visit my dear mum every day when she was in a Nursing Home (she had a series of strokes) for the last 15 months of her life, but so many there had no visitors. It was always so sad. Mum was only too happy to share me with everyone else! Blessings to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how lovely this is; lovely and profoundly moving. You are right- there is no fear in growing old. I really enjoyed reading this- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Jenny,
    How thoughtful of you and wonderful to visit them!!!
    Oh, they must have had a great time to have visiters, "Christmas isn't just for kids".
    You are SO right. Like Diane commented; at my father's old-peoples home, people there are starving to have companions.

    PS. Thank you very much for stopping by. SO lovely to have you♬♬♬

    Blessing to you, xoxo Orchid*

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!