Thursday, December 22, 2011

When memory lives on paper

I have a strong memory rising to the surface, of a cold night in Michigan after a fresh snowfall. My brothers and I are out, exhilarated by the joy of sledding in our toboggan. The stars are bright and our noses and cheeks are red. The world's noise has been silenced by the insulation of snowfall, even the occasional car that passes makes only the sound of rubber squeaking over the hard packed layer of white. We live for this time, to play outside in the winter, while the grown-ups turn on the kitchen light and gather for card games that will go on until midnight. There are cookies and chips and pop on the counter, and the tree is lit with colorful strands of lights. I can walk into this night when I sit down and draw us as we were. Jenny, Roger and Kenny, all bundled up in our snowsuits. I remember and I yearn to go back to those years. It's raining in North Carolina tonight. But in my mind the snow is falling all around.

5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Jenny. In 1984 I moved from Pennsylvania to Florida where snow flurries occur only once a decade. Every winter and especially at Christmas time my thoughts return snowy scenes like the one you described. How well I remember the way freshly fallen snow absorbed sound and gave us a comforting silent night. I went sledding and tobogganing day and night and never wanted the fun to end no matter how frozen my feet got, how rosy my cheeks got, or how runny my nose got. I miss those good and simple times but they live on in my memory. Thank you for helping me to bring them back alive tonight.

    Jenny, dear friend, I wish you and your family a Christmas filled with joy and love and a safe and prosperous new year! Each time you visit my blog I will give you the warmest possible welcome. That's my promise.

    I'll be home for Christmas
    You can count on me
    Please have snow and mistletoe
    And presents under the tree
    Christmas Eve will find me
    Where the love light beams
    I'll be home for Christmas
    If only in my dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh- this is so beautiful. Makes me feel nostalgic, too. Keep on creating these gorgeous words and pictures for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, beautiful, heartwarming memories of your childhood dear friend. You really do have such a lovely way with words. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those memories of Christmas past still linger strongly in my memories. Thanks for sharing your lovely writings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post's title. And the fun memory you shared. And the extremely cute paper dolls.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!