Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What it feels like to fly

When I first stepped off the ground and was lifted into flight by a hang glider, I lost my head.  Literally I did not think of anything.  The experience was pure sensation.  Only at the prompting of my instructors to "FLARE HARD" did my mind register language and thought.  Unbelievable to me and to the amazement of onlookers, I landed my first solo flight on my feet.  Taking those first steps into thin air sends waves of pleasure through the body and has the after affect of an extremely great buzz.  If I were able to live in the air, I would.

After that first flight, which was my graduation gift from Richard, I came home to the reality of being grounded full time.  I took a job at the library and tried to get comfortable with my new identity as a working mom who hoped to make a living as a professional somebody. 

Then, while closing up the library one day, a homeless man attempted to strangle me.  In my shock, I ended up laughing and telling a joke, which had the effect of saving my life.

Several months later, a man with a semi automatic weapon came into the library parking lot, opened his car door, and aimed the gun at the teens and librarians who were near the entrance. 

I awoke to the realization that I was surrounded by a culture of gangs.

And Elliot was not even old enough for preschool. 

So I came home and tried to figure out what to do.  My illusions were shattered.  Yet looking back I realize what a gift is was to come home and discover who I am and what I want my life to be like.

There are no certainties.  I fumble around a lot.  I try to make things.  I try to write little things.  I try to supply my son with a quality home education.   I'm learning not to be so terribly hard on myself for failing to be a professional somebody.  Because professional somebodies don't have what I have.

They don't have you.

In order to understand flight, the scientific explanation of Bernoulli's principle is somewhat helpful:

Bernoulli's principle can be used to calculate the lift force on an airfoil if the behaviour of the fluid flow in the vicinity of the foil is known. For example, if the air flowing past the top surface of an aircraft wing is moving faster than the air flowing past the bottom surface, then Bernoulli's principle implies that the pressure on the surfaces of the wing will be lower above than below. This pressure difference results in an upwards lift force.[nb 1][22] Whenever the distribution of speed past the top and bottom surfaces of a wing is known, the lift forces can be calculated (to a good approximation) using Bernoulli's equations[23] – established by Bernoulli over a century before the first man-made wings were used for the purpose of flight. Bernoulli's principle does not explain why the air flows faster past the top of the wing and slower past the underside. To understand why, it is helpful to understand circulation, the Kutta condition, and the Kutta–Joukowski theorem.

This year, my blogging friends have been my lift force.  You have the biggest hearts and continually bless me with your presence here.  Thank you so much for helping me to remember what it feels like to fly again.  Today my wish is for you all to have a blessed, peace filled and beautiful Christmas...full of the love that you so generously send out into the world.


Love,
Jenny

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What traumatic experiences! I'm so thankful you were spared. It's terrible that people who don't value life are out there with mayhem on their minds.

    I love your description of flight. Some day, I just feel it deep down inside, I'm going to fly like that.

    You are an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, if you'd really like to go hang gliding, I'd be more than happy to have you come for a visit. Our goal this year is to take Elliot for his birthday, when he'll finally be old enough to take his first solo lesson. Are you free in July?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so incredibly generous! And, how wonderful for Elliot, too! I"m sure he will be a natural at it. We are a year round school and start back to school in July, but let me check some things. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! How traumatic those experiences must have been! Thank you for sharing this.

    I,too, wish you have a blessed and beautiful Christmas. So glad we connected!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That gave me goosebumps, Jenny.

    I've always wanted to hang-glide - this may be the motivating post!
    Thank you for your lovely Christmas wishes and in turn I wish the same for you and your family.

    Dare I say, life is full of unexpected moments that can forever change our lives - how we act (rather than react) to these moments determines the road we travel.

    If you have a chance, on Dec 16th, drop by my blog. I am posting a piece I think you might like called Life Lottery Winner!

    Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny...I often had nightmares of being attacked and/or murdered while walking to my job on campus at the Admissions Office at NCSU. Parking on campus as I'm sure you know is not easy and I had the choice of parking in a lot on the other side of campus or in a lot behind some buildings off the main drag but not far from my building. Homeless people 'lived' in that area and more than once one or another of us were threatened, some assaulted. One true thing for me was the relief I felt when I 'retired' and that the nightmares went away.

    When I first started working my kids were all still living at home in middle school and younger. By the time I left my youngest was in her junior year in college. All those years I had nightmares of leaving my husband to raise five children without out me. Isn't it sad that on a college campus we still are not safe.
    Then look at you...taking a negative and making it a positive. I am so amazed always at what you do and how you persevere!
    And Jenny? You are the wind beneath our wings as well!
    Loves~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sush, I laughed at myself after writing this, realizing that I was using the scientific version of the wind beneath my wings cliche'....
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. It's not often that I meet people who directly understand what it means to live in a perpetual state of fear on and off the job. My experience taught me that true safety is an illusion, or at least a chosen state of mind. I'm so glad you were able to finish your career unharmed. I addressed my urgent need for security to be implemented to all levels of management, including the director, and that plea that was repeatedly denied. I'm independent now, but working from home still feels somewhat like "hiding."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny, thank you for the kind comment! And I highly recommend learning to hang glide. It's an experience to stay with you for a lifetime. I'll be sure to stop by tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!