Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Self Made Stereotype

Hi Friends,
It's a beautiful spring-like morning in December, balmy enough to go out before sunrise wearing only a t-shirt and jeans. I have been meaning to go running in the dark at five am, and today the conditions would have been ideal.  Perhaps tomorrow I will remember that I actually do want to leave the comfort of home for a little while, to kick start my day feeling alive and refreshed.
During my recent pause in blogging, I've made time to read a book.
Nearing the end of it, I'm inspired to share an insight that has been affecting my life without my conscious awareness.  On one level I've constructed a life, and continue to construct my life, around a self-made stereotype.

What I mean to say is that the things that I've discovered about myself along the way (I'm creative, I'm introspective, I'm a home-body) have reinforced patterns and also created ruts.  Efficiency and mastery are prized and valued in our society (such as homemaking skills and parenting), but they can be extremely limiting in terms of our willingness to experience life in a vibrant and open, risky and thrilling, awe inspiring, too big for words kind of way.  They can and do limit us, especially when we allow ourselves to be dominated by routines and our commitment to the dominant ideologies of how we are in dire need of economical constraints.  We've limited our imaginations in how to afford adventure.  Adventure seems now to be a packaged deal, available only to the careless wealthy.

Recently I had an experience that opened my eyes to something that I thought I could turn into a large writing project.  After that experience, I decided that research was in order, and so I ordered several books on that topic from the library.  Out of five books, only one held my attention and was more in line with the epiphany that challenged me to seek out and experiment.  The epiphany is this:  taking a risk with someone you love is a deeply bonding experience.  Everything that couples do to create safety and comfort in their lives, such as a home and a career (or two) are naturally good, but can also have the affect of killing romantic love if safety and security are the only goals.  Romantic love is based in risk.  That's where the thrill lies.  And once we are safely in love, and the children arrive, risk becomes a dirty word.  Now, everything becomes a quest for protection.

I'm so thankful that I have a husband who enjoys adventure, and who wants to include me in his sometimes wild and crazy ideas.   Otherwise, I might still be baking bread and cleaning toilets, thinking to myself how "good" of a wife I am.

My personal stereotype is that I'm extremely cautious and often afraid to try new things.  Hang gliding on the dunes doesn't count because contrary to popular belief, that activity is safer than driving around town.

Here's a quote to follow my point, taken from No Opportunity Wasted by Phil Keoghan:

    "Even if you've been quiet (another self imposed stereotype) for the past 20 years, it doesn't mean you must be quiet for the next 20.  There are lots of little ways you can begin to make a racket.  And every little noisy act of defiance will break down that stereotype some more.  If making noise seems out of character for you, well...that's the whole idea.  There's no reason your character, and by extension your life, must be predictable and one-dimensional.  A person can be both quiet and loud.  A very responsible mother of two can also ride a motorcycle."



6 comments:

  1. Intriguing topic you have here, today! Without knowing more of what this is all about, I don't really feel able to make any meaningful observations. I do, however, relate completely to the way in which so many of us pattern our adult lives. Stability and security and fulfilling our parental roles becomes all compelling and we absolutely do forget that there's still room for excitement and adventure (or risk taking) to be included in the mix. How strange that you're having spring-like weather while we're having a decidedly un-summery day. Right now, I'm actually feeling jolly chilly and am contemplating putting on a jersey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, another nice read. The things we tend to regret most in life are the chances we fail to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I too am thankful for a husband who takes my hand and leads me into adventure... adventures I would not go on without some pulling from him. It has opened my eyes to a whole different me and I love it! I think it has made me a lot better person.. to be able to bake the bread and clean the house and climb a mountain and sleep outside... I love being able to show my kids that anything is possible... I know they were shocked when Dave put me on the back of bike and we took off on a 4000 mile trip to Sturgis... kids told me that was not what they thought moms did... lol I told them moms can do and should do Everything and Anything they want :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny you always seem to give food for thought, *which is good, and you get me pondering. We are celebrating our 40th anniversary next week and it will be very interesting to see what the next 40 will bring.
    I do believe life should always be an adventure!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you think! I used to be shy - afraid to step up and ask or to do things I really wanted to do. (What will people think? People will look at me funny) When my oldest son got married, I wanted to go into the room where his wife was getting her dress on, and see how she looked, but I was afraid she wouldn't want me there. Or that her mother would feel that I was intruding. My sister in law turned to me and said "I wouldn't pass up that experience for anything." So I went. And it was beautiful, and I was welcome. What a shame if I had passed it up. So I've remembered that when other opportunities have come around. I don't want any regrets that could have been helped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the most fertile place for us is outside of our comfort zones. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!