Thursday, March 24, 2011

Impulses

     I admit it freely: I am not a big goal setter.  It was only in the last year that I started to regularly use a calendar.  As Bill Bryson says, "life is more fun if you can treat it like a series of impulses."  This, from a guy who is actually very successful, having written loads of popular books and traveled the world.   But I wonder, is it really possible to be impulsive while also being respected and financially secure?

     I am inspired by two main things:  avoiding serious discomfort and experiencing satisfaction. I don't even have to be happy all the time.  Reasonably satisfied is an okay way to glide through life.  Lately, I feel like I'm more on target with Buddhist notions about staying in the center.

    But is this a consequence of turning 40?  I will reach that milestone in a few weeks.  I would love to go out and spoil myself with a new spring wardrobe but have suddenly realized that my shape is not what it once was.  I am caught between wanting to have fresh new styles but hating the teenage junk that's on the racks.  And who will see me besides my family, the people at the library or the post office?  I have been so conservative with gas that I don't just jump in the car and take rides to new locations anymore.  I've become boring!  My idea of being impulsive these days is to dig a little fish pond in the back yard for Elliot.  And hope that I don't pay for it with a sore back.  North Carolina soil is hard, red clay.

    Thank goodness my daughter is coming home for spring break.  I need to remember what it feels like to be youthful and to experience impulsiveness again through her animated story telling.
        Today is day two of spring cleaning.  I think I turned a corner yesterday by getting through the kitchen pantry (which is also a store room) and my walk in closet...I donated everything that didn't fit and gave up hope of fitting into the skinny jeans!  Which was liberating.  I hope you enjoy your weekend and have lots of sunshine and spring joy~

9 comments:

  1. I set too many goals and then don't follow through. Hmmm. The fish pond is awesome! I’m a new GFC follower from Having Fun blog hop. http://www.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am inspired by two main things: avoiding serious discomfort and experiencing satisfaction".

    What a great line. I love to read this inspiring post. Glad to know you're having a spring cleaning! I think I should do it too.

    Dita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably suffer too much in the impulse department. Everything sounds more fun than staying home. I have to remind myself that I need to be the adult and buckle down. Treat yourself to something fun for your 40th. It doesn't have to be a new wardrobe or something expensive but just something that for you would be special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pansies. It must be the time of the year, because I have been clearing out my wardrobes, and taken a huge bag of clothes to the local Charity shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking down the barrel of the big 4-0 myself. :)

    Love your writing and family member descriptions!

    Following back now.
    Mickey
    A Helicopter Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by from the hops...I am following back! Have a great night!

    Karen @ http://barefootinportland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have come to accept that who I am and how I do things or want things done will change.. I went through a stage of NO impulse.. everything was to a reach a goal that was on a list.. and now there is more balance with more impulse and tomorrow I am not sure.. seems winter time I need more goals and lists to feel like I am moving forward. The only thing I am sure of is that it is always changing for me.

    That is great that Emily will be home for awhile.. I hope you all have so much fun!!

    Sounds like you got a lot done on day one of Spring Cleaning.. way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there, found your blog through Having Fun Blog Hop, I am now your follower. Would you please follow me too?

    My blog is Kids e-Connection. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jennifer and thanks for stopping by my site and deciding to follow along. I started last june not having a clue what to do and a lot of new friends have helped me along to the point I am actually having fun & have a blog family all over this small world. As you probably saw I live just off I95 in Halifax, NC near the Va. border but spent most of my life in Nash County where I raised 3 daughters who are 26, 36 & 41 this year. My wife Linda & I will actually be quite close to you this weekend as we will be staying at the Celebrity Dairy (goats) in Siler City at their B & B. Linda also has an aunt that lives near by so we will visit with her as well. Welcome to my blog family and have a great weekend.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!