Thursday, March 10, 2011

On Life's Path

     Wow!  I feel like a nut that's been cracked open.  No one told me that blogging could be such a deeply personal kind of thing.  After a year of posting, suddenly I have some feelings attached to it.  While I understand that the unspoken rule here is honesty, I happen to like a little sugar with my truth.  So thank you, Michelle, for the very kind comment you posted yesterday.  I want to believe what you said.  In my liberal interpretation of teaching and learning, I've often thought that it doesn't take an official title to be a teacher (I consider myself to be one as I home school), and that it doesn't take a publishing house to make a person a writer.  
     For the first time in my life, I am doing exactly what I want to be doing.  Thank you, Thisisme, for helping me to realize this fact.   Your comment helped me to see that I am not like the Biblical Jonah, hiding in the belly of the whale, avoiding at all costs the calling to be a school teacher. I realize now that my childhood dream was

a.  the only response I could offer at family gatherings when aunts and uncles asked that question "what do you want to be when you grow up."  I was six years old and the only jobs I saw available to me in my rural town were teaching, mothering and farming.  Farming involved poop.  So did mothering.
b.  an idealized picture of me writing neatly on a chalkboard.
c.  I loved my teachers so much that I wanted to be lifelong friends with them.  When I grew up and moved away, they weren't there anymore.


     God has led me down so many paths and not one of them led me back to a brick and mortar classroom.  It's a great feeling to know that I can make a life for myself outside the security of the institutions that dominated my life for so many years.  Thinking about leaving behind a childhood dream to pursue something new and unexpected has helped me to stretch.  It is a faith journey.  It is my way of being a teacher to myself.

     I did not know how to operate a sewing machine when I started this activity.  I did not know how to make my computer do what I wanted it to do.  I knew pretty much nothing about photography (and am still working on that).  So if there is a lesson, it's that we all have something called neuroplasticity.  We each have the ability to rewire our brains to do things that we never thought we could.

      I am so thankful that this business wasn't on my to do list.  Because, if it was, the sheer number of things that I would have had to teach myself would be so overwhelming that I would have walked away.  Thankfully, I get to teach myself, in small, manageable chunks, and stay at home while reaching out to my community.  I have made some GREAT friends.  And, BONUS! I have customers who are not only satisfied but excited to be a part of something new.

It's true that I fall into the learner camp more than the teacher camp.  But this is okay with me.  One day, the memory of the things I learned will stand out more than the things that I taught.

6 comments:

  1. Life's official titles and how God sees who we are and what we do must be so very different . . . Which I think is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Throw those to do lists out the window, and embrace what comes :) And your life? Your life is teaching others how to live their dreams. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading your post and, suddenly, you referred to me! Wow! What an honour. I am so glad that mine and Michelle's comment helped a little. I have only been blogging since the end of October, but have already made so many really lovely, sincere friends. It's nice to know that we're all there for each other. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In being a learner you are a teacher! You remind us that we never stop learning, exploring, reaching! Who would we be if we knew everything we ever needed or wanted to know, if there was nothing left to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a powerful post. I was touched by your honesty. I was touched by your comment "We each have the ability to rewire our brains to do things that we never thought we could.". I think you are teaching more by example than you give yourself credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for blogging for a year. There's some big statistics about how many blogs start each year that aren't running six months later. Glad you're feeling good about what you've learned and where you're at. I think we'll always be learning if we're open to it.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!