Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Art of Living Happily

I have been thinking about my life differently since I stopped smoking nearly three years ago.  It's hard to imagine that I used to spend a great deal of time ingesting destructive chemicals into my lungs.  Looking back, I think the real problem was that I held on to resentment and anger, foolishly believing that it was my right to be mad and depressed about my circumstances.  I clung to the past and spread blame for every injustice done to me, never realizing that I had choices.  I didn't understand that I willingly participated in things that made me unhappy.  I'm slowly waking up to that fact right now. 

These thoughts have come to the forefront of my consciousness because I am beginning to pay closer attention to my emotions.   Just yesterday, I realized that I was jealous of one of Richards' happy memories.  It's shameful...to be jealous of the beautiful moments of his past.  But there I stood, completely wanting to have his moment of joy and freedom for myself.  He had described a sunny day at a ball game in Charleston, eating a hot dog.
It's true that I've attended many baseball games in my life, complete with a hot dog and sunshine.  So it was completely illogical to want his moment in the sun. Then I realized that his memory recalled a particular circumstance that I desire:  no responsibility.  At that time in his life there were no children to care for.     

   I can't remember a time when I did not have children to care for.   

And this is messing with my head.  I love children, especially the ones I am blessed with.

It is my own fault for thinking that I have no freedom.  Because in reality, I am free.  I don't have to listen to the annoying noise from the video games or the children's programming for hours on end, just to "get some work done"  I could instead tell Elliot to find a silent activity while I play music on the computer that I like.  I don't have to listen to the latest pop/rock/rap in the car while driving around with Emily.  If I want silence, I should ask for it.   I don't have to compromise so much, thinking that everyone will be happy if I do.

The art of living happily is to remember what I like and to practice enjoying those things every day.  If I need respite, I should walk outside and water the garden.   


Or ask Richard to dance.

3 comments:

  1. So many emotions my friend. I do hope the rest of your weekend is filled with joy and contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had those moments... sometimes though it's looking at my past and the freedom that came sitting. Just sitting. Without kids :)And like you, I adore my children, but find myself over compromising... so thank you for the reminder that I don't have to do it either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always believed that having my children practice a quiet time... is not torture for them.. it is something they also need. This mom had to have some peace and quiet with calm time...made me a better mom. Now that my baby has turned 18 I am having a lot of freedom... it seems to have happened over night.. I am thankful for the times my children were quiet.. and that I took time for myself for My time.. otherwise this feeling now might be overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!