Sunday, June 5, 2011

A letter to my blogging friends

Dear friends,

It's sometimes unacknowledged how much I appreciate you.
I not only appreciate you, but I'm truly grateful for your kind comments and steady presence. It's not often that I discover a situation in life where people follow the golden rule to "do unto others what you would have done to you."  If I were one to create an award button, I'd make one that says "Golden Rule Blogger." A golden rule blogger visits often enough to become a familiar friend.  Even when I haven't visited or commented on your blogs in the immediate past, I'll find that you have come here anyway. I know that for many of you there are long lists of people to visit along your blogging journey.  And I'm not really telling a story here.   Many times the posts I write are not intended for an audience but are written so that I can remember what this part of my life was like.  

For example, today Elliot said something in response to an idea I shared that I want to remember forever.  I want to remember that when he was six years old, we were watching our elderly neighbor water his garden on a 90 degree day.  The gentleman was wearing faded jeans and a straw hat. He was standing in the path of the sprinkler, getting himself wet to cool down.   When Elliot commented on this by saying "Mr. ____ is standing in his sprinkler!"  I said that every person has a little child within them, no matter how old they are.   Mr. _____  has a little boy inside who loves the water on a hot day, just like you."

After thinking about this for a little while, Elliot said "if that's true then I have a grown-up inside me." 
I enthusiastically said "Yes! Yes!  You understand! It's the "potential Elliot." The person you will be is already within."

I also want to remember that this conversation happened shortly after Elliot had his heart broken by a boy whom he thought was his friend.   

Which might have made him more open to seeing people of different ages as more compassionate friends than his peers. 

Our differences bring us closer together.  The pictures and stories that you share from your part of the world make my worldview more expansive than it ever was.  Your thoughts cause me to be more thoughtful and appreciative of things that I never stopped to notice. 


~Jenny

5 comments:

  1. What a beautifully crafted piece this morning. Thank you my friend, and it was good to see a nice, smiley photo of you! That really was a lovely story about little Elliot and the elderly gentleman next door., I love your comment about the 'potential Elliot inside.' I'm sure your little boy will grow up to be as kind and caring as his mum, and I'm sorry to hear that his heart was broken by that little boy. It's so sad when that happens, especially when they're so young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible conversation to have with your son... both of your hearts are just so beautiful.
    So when are you guys going to take a trip up here?? There's so much history, I think it'd be a great school trip next year :) I just want to hug you after reading posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also post thoughts & event so I can look back and relive the moment. At first I didn't really think about the comments that much but as I go along they mean more and more to me because I can feel that it is coming from a friend. You are appreciated too, never doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corinne, I would love to visit you! So, I will start planning it:)
    And Odie and This...thank you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a wonderful conversation with your son. I'm sure it's times like those that just melt your heart. I started a blog for my oldest grandson (www.isaiahseyes.com) to document stuff just like this - his accomplishments, the things he says, the way he grows. He has mild autism so every milestone he passes is that much more precious.

    Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!