Tuesday, June 7, 2011

This is where I'll be

After reading Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project, I have become more aware of things that trigger uplifting feelings.  These triggers are fleeting, but add to my over all sense of contentment.   If I've learned anything from Rubin, it's that happiness is a process that continues through appreciation for these moments, while exploring them on a deeper level.

I've also learned that for me, exploration and discovery are things that bring happiness.  Even if I'm simply discovering more about my habits.  My routines, while making me an efficient machine,  tend to lead to a lifestyle of a mom who is going through the motions on a functioning, low-level, basic existence.      

I wake up, walk downstairs, kiss my handsome and kind husband, make coffee, fix an English muffin with honey or peanut butter, and wander to this corner and sit in front of this screen.           And write little things.

And read.    

This makes me happy overall.  But just this morning I realized that the sun is up earlier, making for a beautiful light blue sky.  The air feels fresh at this hour and the cat is friendly.   My little sun deck feels comfortable.  Birds have begun their singsongs.  It is the most peaceful, pleasant hour to be outdoors in this oppressively humid southern state.
Which means that I might have to change my routine.  Set another time for blogging.
Which is difficult because once Elliot is awake there are too many distractions for written thought.


So if I'm not here as often, this is where I'll be.
    
This is our covered porch which we use for our classroom and for summer evening entertaining.

I would love to have new furniture for the arbor, but haven't yet found a replacement.


Elliot's playground, a shady oasis from the hot baked yard.
This is the mini pond that Elliot helped me build.
We've had many wonderful evenings with friends around our fire.

7 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Another wonderful post, I enjoyed reading. You've all the elements for those warm summer day's and evenings. I love the sunroom/porch and looks soooo inviting. I hope you and yours enjoy a truly wonderful and memorable summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that cute little statue in the last photo! It was lovely to see some views of where you live, and that first photo is delightful. No wonder you want to sit there early in the morning. I don't blame you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love, love, love your garden! what a wonderful way and place to relax. enjoy! love the little statue, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the last picture the best too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place to be! *clicking heels and blinking eyes* I will keep trying.. some day I am going to come visit :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, I was going to ask you how you found time to blog. :) it must be so peaceful and still in the morning. I don't blame you for getting away from the computer a little bit. We have to follow our desires, and to be outdoors is so important for our bodies and souls! It is so hard to think clearly at the end of the day, which is why my posts are so sporadic... maybe I will try some earlier mornings too... Beautiful post, your yard looks perfect. And thank you for the sweet comment you left me last week, it came at just the right time - words I very much needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you've come to a very wise decision! Your garden looks like a perfectly delightful place to connect with what brings you happiness, so while the weather is at its best, it's the best place to be! I completely understand and concur! Enjoy your quality time away from your computer...we'll be waiting when you return...unless of course we're off connecting with our inner selves in our own gardens ;)

    As always, you writ so beautifully and directly from the heart...it's always inspiring to visit you! (NO PRESSURE implied, promise!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!