Friday, July 29, 2011

For Desiree

Recently, someone I admire and care about asked me to share a few words about The Religious Society of Friends, or Quakerism.  I'm shy about doing this.  But because Desiree asked, I'm going to try to explain my new faith practice, and how I came to this decision to worship with Friends.

I'm shy about trying to explain this because I really do not know enough to be an expert.  I graduated from Guilford College, which was founded by Quakers.  It was only after leaving school that I began to attend "Meeting For Worship."

In my childhood and for most of my adult life I was a practicing Catholic.  I never would have expected this of myself as a young person.  That I would discover a completely different way to worship and experience the divine working in my life.

This choice did not hit me like a lightning bolt.  I didn't wake up one morning and decide all of a sudden to change my religious practice.   In fact I was so comfortable with my usual routine of going to Mass on Sundays that visiting other churches made me feel lost and alone.

I feel I must apologize here, because there was an event, actually a series of events that I cannot write about here that influenced my decision.  Something very damaging happened to someone very close to me that affected my entire life.  In addition to that, after my divorce I wasn't feeling very "cozy" sitting in Mass anymore. 

Still, I kept attending our Catholic church, thinking that it was what I must do.  Then Elliot, who was three years old, piped up from his car seat one Sunday morning and said,

"I don't want to go to the Caffowick church today.  I want to go to my school church.

Now, if I was truly obedient and committed fully to being a Catholic, at that time I would have told my son that he has absolutely no choice in the matter.  I would have said that where Mommy goes, he must go.

But as I got closer to the big church on the hill with the stained glass windows, I found myself driving past it with no longing to go in.

Perhaps it was a disobedient act of defiance, but it didn't feel that way.

So Elliot and I went to our first Friends Meeting.  The Friends allowed him to play downstairs in the classroom that he was familiar with, while I enjoyed sitting upstairs.  I mean, I really enjoyed it.   After the message, the entire congregation sat in silence for thirty minutes.  It was absolutely the most peaceful experience I'd had since being a child.  I felt so comforted in the silence. I didn't feel ashamed of who I was or an urgent need to repent, confess, or to change.  I felt good.  And happy.

So I kept going back.

And the more I went, the more I learned.  I learned that Quakers have no official creed, but that they have social and religious testimonies.  The Friends (people who attend Meeting for Worship) are seekers of the Light (another word for God) and they believe that the Holy Spirit is accessible to each individual without intercession from a religious leader.  Even though the Spirit is available to each individual, they believe that our individualism will be brought under control and we will be gathered into community that seeks to know and live out the divine will.
The New Garden Friends meeting where I attend seems to fall into the category of Universalist Liberals, because by their example they say that Quakerism should not be limited to a Christian or Western understanding, so that they may be open to interfaith dialogue.

The Social testimonies that they agree upon are Community, Peace, Simplicity and Equality.

They also agree that all of life has the potential to be sacramental.  That God's love can be experienced in every aspect of life.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this with us, Jenny. I am personally of the opinion that, in an ideal world, we should all be free to choose our own way. Furthermore, I do not believe that we need to justify our choices to anyone else. I admire you for boldly taking a stand for what feels right for you. It is great that you have found the path that resonates most harmoniously with you and I personally hold dear the values of which you speak. I think it's endearing the way Elliot motivated you to reassess your religious practice. I assume he's also much happier attending his "school church" and not the "Caffowick" church :)

    Big hug,
    Des xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I praise God for your testimony and sharing this information with us. Personally I have since I was 21 and just out of the military been a member of probably 8 or 9 churches from Baptist to Pentecostal, to Adventist, to Church of Christ. I have been a deacon, served on church boards, preached at a rest home for two years and after a series of events in my life I cannot remember that last time I was in a regular church service but have no doubt of my relationship with God. I don't know if there are any groups like you are referring to in my area but I would like to know if they are. Thanks for being open.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that one must follow ones heart as it will leave one to no question as is evident of your choice to pass the church on the hill and continue on. I was raise a catholic and found as a young adult it was not for me. "Community, Peace, Simplicity and Equality" words all should live by no matter what faith. I believe in the Father, Son, and Holy spirit. Thanks for sharing as was good to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all so interesting! I actually thought about attending a meeting a while back, but there wasn't a meeting house close by. Have to look into it again... as I'm starting our church search. Thank you for being open :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found that to be such an interesting post Jenny. Quakers in this country often ran large companies (Cadbury & Rowntree spring readily to mind) and they had a very good ethic with regard to all their employees. They really looked after them and treated them as family. I admire you for what you did. I am a Christian, but I stopped actually going to Church about a year ago (I do miss Communion though), because it honestly wasn't doing anything for me at all. I think it is wonderful that you have found that feeling of peace. It is something that I will continue to search for my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Thisisme, I appreciate you sharing this with me. Quakers in the US also own Starbucks. I wish I knew their secret to success because then Knees and Paws might grow into something so big that I'd have employees that I could treat like family. Quakerism actually began in England in the 17th Century. It was very difficult for those who worshiped that way, as sometimes they were imprisoned. I hope that you also find something that fulfills you, but maybe this is just a time for you to experience your faith as an individual. You certainly have shared so much love with so many that blogging might be your calling to actively express your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking about the way Japanese people face with the beliefs.
    It is funny that we have Shintoism and Buddhism and they influenced each other to help create the culture unique to Japan. Well, we go to shrine on the new year, praying for the peace of the year. Monk help us to pay respect for our ancestors like holding funerals and memorial services.
    It is funny that we have family altar and shelf of gods in our house.
    Thank you for the time thinking about faith!

    Hugs xoxo, Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for that beautiful reply to my comment. Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!