Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Our friend Tom

 Crickets chirp in the pitch black night from beyond an open window.  The air is cool but Ozzie remembers the hot day and sleeps on the slate floor.  

I've been reading, running, sewing.  Taking my time with life.      

Returning to the habit of listening to "my" music.  Realizing that all this talk of "happiness" is good for me, but knowing all the while that I like sad, sorrowful stories and music.  If I had to only listen to happiness and bright cheery things I think I would go mad.           

I was an English major, after all.  Perhaps one of the most depressing things to study is literature.  I remember asking my professors when the "happy" stories would be on the syllabi.  They told me to seek elements of hope in writing rather than joy.    

Even the bible says that in knowing sorrow you will have wisdom.  Today I got a big dose of it.

 And I want to seek hope in this news.

  Our neighbor, Tom Norman,  has been given a grim diagnosis of cancer.    

Tom is a genuine, caring neighbor.  He served his country during WWII.  He lost his wife many years before we moved next door, a loss so deep that he mentions her with tears in his eyes.  Tom has a peach orchard and a fantastic garden.  This year he'll turn 91.    

Tom plays a banjo with the Lonesome Strings.  When he goes out "pickin" he means that he's going to play a very special kind of music called high lonesome blue grass.  This type of blue grass is very old and unique, nothing like contemporary country music.  He has two sons, one who is an artist.   My husband, Richard is very close to him, and shared this sad news after dinner.

Our house is quiet tonight.    

So we will think of ways to be there for our good friend as he faces this next great challenge of his life.  I think it will kill me not to hear him fire up his noisy garden tiller at 1:00 every day.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sad to hear Tom's grim news, Jenny and I know how hard this must be for all of you. At 91, he's obviously led a good, healthy life. No one lives forever, unfortunately. All you can do is help to make this as easy a transition as possible, being there to give him loads of hugs when he needs them and to provide comfort and solace when things get really difficult for him. He sounds a delightful soul and has an open, kind face and posture. He looks mischievous, too, from the twinkle in his eyes. My loving thoughts are with you, Richard, Tom and his sons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to read of Tom's condition and of course the "C" word is bad enough in itself. Seems now is the time to make happy memories, maybe even a video with him sharing stories of his youth and marriage to his beloved wife. I have one of my Aunt Katie (102)& Uncle Lester (94) sharing stories and that I will always treasure. Just a suggestion. We can choose to think of good and happy things or times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Jenny. I was indeed sorry to hear about Tom's diagnosis. Gosh, he looks a fine figure of a man and certainly has a twinkle in his eye. I agree with Odie, perhaps it would be good to ask him about memories of his wife. He might like to remember her even more now. I am sure that he will find great comfort in your love, caring and concern. Big hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm truly sorry to hear of your friend Tom's diagnosis. He appears to be as you've described. It is wonderful that he has you and your family along with others in which to share the days that remain. Not being a stranger to cancer myself, I just hope the road ahead for Mr. Norman will be as smooth as possible in that he will not suffer too much or too long. My thought and prayers are with you all.

    “Love is stronger than death even though it can't stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries it can't separate people from love. It can't take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death.”

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!