Sunday, July 31, 2011

I'm already thinking of fall (so I can shed this Hippie image)

It's the eve of August and the sun is like a god, dictating and bearing down on us like a not so benevolent ruler. It's no wonder that the Egyptians elevated that bright ball of gas as the supreme deity called Ra.  So far there's no sacrifice that appeases his force of power over our heads.  But God is merciful because after three weeks of sweaty living in a home with a  broken central air conditioner, the Happy Hoppins Family (that's us) are sitting in complete comfort.  The unit has been serviced and saved.  We have been spared a $7,000 bill.   That is why right now at this moment the house is back to a state of comfortable clean.  One day, just for fun, and to celebrate the accomplishment of a clean house, I put on my swim suit and a handmade sundress and sat outside with the children and their friends while I made a craft and watched them swim.  Richard took one look at me said that I'd officially become a hippie.  My girlfriend, who watched as I turned my hand dyed t shirts into a woven rug, agreed.

Later, while I was alone, I looked in the mirror and wondered if that was true.  Have I become a hippie? 

I don't feel like a hippie.  I don't partake in the smoking or eating of natural herbs (although some days...boy do I wish!)  I like folk music, rock and have to admit that Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young is one of my favorite songs.  I'm a pacifist...which means that I oppose war, but I'm also learning how to be a better pacifist at home and not engage in heated, loud arguments with my family members.  I'm a pacifist but if you catch me on a bad day, you might think that statement makes me a tiny bit hypocritical.

I have a handmade business and I like to grow food in my little garden.  The bugs ate most of it, so I still do shop in a regular grocery store and not a whole foods organic type market.  My kids have eaten pretty much anything they like.

I like to take a shower every day and I also shave my legs.  (Emily says that this alone makes me not a very good candidate for hippie status).

I once wrote a letter to congress pleading that money for World Hunger efforts didn't get cut out of the budget.  But I've never marched on Washington for any reason.  I have visited D.C. in the spring and it was so lovely that I plan to go back, at least to see the flowering cherry trees given to the U.S. from Japan and to visit the Natural History Museum.

I like to make art, or at least my version of art, which may or may not be REAL art.

I've stopped coloring my hair (a picture of my graying progress will be revealed sometime next month for those who've been following that bit of info).       
I only wear makeup if I feel like it, but lately, I really could care less.  Blame it on that sun god, Ra.

Perhaps that will change when fall comes and I can assume my trusty northern girl image who wears jeans and hiking boots. 

6 comments:

  1. Ra, Ra - that was good!

    You write beautifully and weave a wonderful story. I was with you from handmade frock to hiking boots, and lived the journey vicariously with you!

    Enjoy that new "cool" feel to your now tidy house!

    Cheers, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post today did bring a smile to my face Jenny, especially the shaving your legs bit. Definitely NOT a hippy then! Not yet anyway! I love how your posts are always so honest. I think this is probably because you know that we are all here to support and encourage you in whatever you do. We are certainly not here to judge you. I do think that this is one of the many good things about our blogging friends - the encouragement and support that we all receive. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There,
    I read your comment on our friend Diane's blog..Thisisme and was intrigued to see what you are doing in your blog. I fell in love. And then when I read about your new fav place to find 'found' objects I was compelled to ask...is it the 'Red Collection' in G-boro? My daughter and I have been shopping there for around six years or so. It is def one of my fav places to browse. As someone coming of age in the 'hippie' generation I have a lot of hippiness in my approach to life, but like you I do shave my legs and I doubt anyone that knows me would call me a hippie. Anyhow, I will be a new follower of yours and eager to read all you have to say about your life, life in general etc!
    Hugs~
    PS I don't live in G-boro...my daughter went to UNC-G and graduated in the Interior Architecture and Design program a bit ago...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly do have a way with words and I enjoy all your posts. Your posts are refreshing and I always look forward to seeing I have another from you to enjoy. Have a great week and keep cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was afraid of commenting because I don't have much knowledge about hippy. I learned a lot reading your blog and comments of others. Thank you very much!!!
    I really am looking forward to having cooler season, wearing Jeans and all♫

    Love, xoxo Orchid

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so funny, Jenny! I loed this post! Do cuff Richard around the ear when you next walk past his chair, OK?

    Just because you believe in being YOU without unnecessary adornment, does not you a hippie make :) I think it's GREAT that you are comfortable in your skin and that you sacrifice "fashion" for personal comfort! You are lovely the way you are and provided personal hygiene is never neglected (which I know you won't!) you're on to a good thing. I only wear mascara and lipstick with a bit of blusher on my cheeks when I go out. Here at home I'm au naturel. I do still colour my grays, though, coward that I am :(

    I, too, LOVE a clean, tidy, organised house. So glad your airconditioning is up and humming and keeping you cool once more! Even better that it didn't cost an arm and a leg!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!