Friday, July 22, 2011

When Children Give Pennies to Mommies



            Thirteen of Bernadette’s children survived past the age of four.  Then, it was common to have a large family, yet uncommon to hide tiny sons and daughters in pickle barrels when the social workers came.  If it was a crime to have a big family and to be poor, then Bernadette was a criminal.
            Instead of doing hard time for bringing thirteen babies into a life of poverty, she died of cervical cancer when the youngest was two.
            Before her death, the babies who survived despite unmet needs and wants grew sturdy bodies, intelligent, witty minds and loving hearts.  They worked in nearby fields for produce and pennies.  The household had a mason jar for days when children gave pennies to their mother.  She saved every cent for hard times to come and for birthday cake, which needed to be baked every month.
            I am Bernadette’s granddaughter.  I live in a large house on a leafy street with a fresh, green lawn.  I have two babies, one who is seventeen and mighty, one who is seven and still open to believing in magical stories.  Yesterday, he came to my workroom holding a single penny.  Looking up from my sewing, I watched him drop the coin on my table.  “Here’s a penny for you, mommy.  A penny for you.”

5 comments:

  1. Another wonderful post and it reminded me of my grandmother as she had the same jar in a kitchen cubboard chocked full of pennies and I often wondered how much money was in the jar. Since my granddot was 4 I've saved every penny she's brought to me and she's now 10. To date She's collected 203.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Jenny♪
    Oh, I never knew about the story of Bernadette and Lourdes. So, at first I couldn't figure out your post well. I learned about her miraculous story from pc-site.
    How thoughtful of Elliot!!! I wondered you were sewing something for him. He must grow to be a warmhearted young man soon having a caring Mom.
    Thank you for sharing this cute story and I loved the way you wrote. Yes, you are a writer.

    Lots of love and Hugs xoxo, Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is an awesome story and what a tribute to your grandmother. how sad that she died so young. my mom picks up pennies when she sees them and says the angels drop them for us to find. so, when you find a penny think of angels dropping them down from heaven. one of them might be your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Orchid again.
    Your friend "Teresa - in the Middle Side of Life" 's comment made me understand your story.
    How terrible of me commenting without full understanding. I thank her a lot letting me know well about your story.
    Love, xoxo Orchid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Orchid,
    Please do not worry, there is nothing wrong with a little misunderstanding. I appreciate your kindness.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!