Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Perhaps I shouldn't be writing today

Perhaps I shouldn't be writing today.  My head is swimmy and pounding.  So please excuse the disjointed use of language.  It's like writing on a ship at sea.  I'm not sure why I'm having headaches lately.  The last time one came on I spent an entire day on the bathroom floor.  I thought it was the flu.

The trouble with feeling this way is that I don't want to stop doing the things I have planned.  Elliot and I are scheduled to work at the library, I need to buy groceries, I have an order to fill and a new art project to start.  My house is spectacularly clean and organized and I want to enjoy it...because it never lasts.

Especially not as long as this scavenged find...

Last week we found a salvage shop in downtown Greensboro that is my new favorite place to visit. Since this discovery, I have decided not to fix up my home with new things anymore.  I've decided to make new uses for the beautiful old.  Last week Richard and I walked into a wonderful old brick building downtown with three stories and enjoyed every minute of unexpected sights.  I love going downtown.  And I loved being in this historic building with the dusty old smell and artifacts from homes that were scheduled for demolition.  We filled our car with an ancient baker's table that we plan to restore and use as our center island.  It is the missing piece that will complete the restoration of our kitchen.  Above it we'll rehang the iron rack that was made by our neighbor Tom, then add a few copper pots to catch the light.   Richard has plans to sand the wood top and put new legs on the bottom. 


























We've also had to put in a new floor in the dining room.  Our new dog and cat made sure to help us achieve our dream of having a wood floor, since they forgot to take their bathroom needs outdoors.
Slowly, our home is returning to order and comfort.

6 comments:

  1. I hope the headaches go away soon, cold packs may help. I love the smell of antique and 2nd hand shops and to wander around one I can do for hours. Your wood floor looks great and love the light tone. Hope all else is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked the pictures a lot, and hope you feel back to normal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your headache has cleared up completely by the time you find this. Excellent idea to have wooden floors. Easy to mop up messes and yet they stay nice and warm through the winter, unlike tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so very sorry that you have been getting these awful headaches. I suffered from them for many years, so I know just how debilitating they can be. Please take care and hope you will soon feel much better. Such a good idea to buy the old furniture and then renovate it. The new floor looks wonderful, and I'm glad it's all starting to come together in your home now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sad on the headaches. hope they go away quickly. love the idea of recycling! can't wait to see how this find turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for my belated comment,Jenny.
    Iike thisisme said, I know how terrible it can be to have headache. I hope it had gone by now!!!
    Oh, what a good sense you have, must be a lot of work required, but I like the word you used "order and comfort"

    Love, xoxo Orchid

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!