Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cram-Packed Full Life

I don't know how it happened but I'm starting to feel busy all the time.  This is unusual for me.  I feel most comfortable when I only have one or two things on my calendar, per month.  It's out of character, but lately I keep dividing my time and adding more activity.

Maybe this means I'm gradually joining the land of the living after being a hopeless, insecure closet smoker.

In any case, being out in the world is good for me.  And for Elliot too.  We've done so many wonderful things this week that we're sleeping great and waking up refreshed and ready for more.

After joining a home school group, we were invited to lunch on Monday, which led to a visit and playdate on Wednesday.  We had Tae Kwon Do on Tuesday and Thursday.  Elliot is also taking a pottery class and an acting class at the downtown Cultural Arts center.  Surprisingly, I've managed to divide my work-outs to two per day, which is easier on my joints than spending an hour or more in one running session on the treadmill.

The weather has been so beautiful that in the evenings we've headed out to the woods.  I was uplifted by the realization that my stamina is returning, along with a feeling of deep appreciation for our trails again.  For a while we were going out so much that I was beginning to feel bored and uninspired.  Nature should never feel that way and I'm happy to say that my sense of wonder is returning.   I can't describe the freshness of the air or the fragrance of newly emergent life on the decomposing leafy floor.  It is aroma therapy of the best kind.

Still, through all of this, I can't seem to shake the nagging internal critic who has been ruthless in her abuse of me.  She keeps telling me to get a make-over.  In the afternoon, she begs me to buy nice new clothes, to cut and dye my hair, to buy new make up and wear it every day.  She keeps nagging me to redecorate the sad looking rooms in my house and to put that sewing machine to more practical uses like making new pillows for the wretched couches and drapes for the scandalously naked windows.  She keeps telling me to buy some house plants and put pansies in the pots instead of weeds.  I really have not been able to silence her.  She wants it all done and she wants it done right now.

Someone once said to put all of that stuff on a list.  Maybe that would help.  But I also wonder if that inner critic is trying to tell me something important.  Maybe she's trying to encourage me to be just a little more self indulgent, because she knows that it's not in my best interest to play the martyr game.   She knows what can happen when everything starts to be too much.  Maybe she's recognizing that self destructive behavior is on the horizon unless I start to do something totally self indulgent, right now!



So there wasn't much time for blogging this week.  Which was probably a relief for my sweet friends who visit so often!

Something good is happening today.  I hope it is for you too.







11 comments:

  1. Just the opposite is true, Jenny. It's a relief to see a post from you even at this rather strange hour. Every day I deal with that same nagging voice (not yours, LOL, the one in my own head). If I let it that voice can make a mile long list of wouldas, shouldas and couldas in seconds flat, leaving me feeling overwhelmed and guilt-ridden. I pick the highest priority tasks and get them out of the way first. That eases the pressure and makes it easier to tackle lower priority tasks. When I examine the other items on your list it seems clear that you already have your priorities in order - making things for the Cancer Foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a busy week but fun. your "nature" and woods must be very relaxing and rejuvenating. have a great weekend. (did you get my email about the house for my mom?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your week sounds delightful. I know Elliot must be having a blast, too! Kudos on giving up the smoking. You did a number of great things for yourself in just that action alone.

    As far as your taksmaster voice telling you to do more, and that what you're doing isn't enough- tell her to shut up. Fill your head with all the loveliness you are doing, like creating those wonderful things for kids with cancer, while sacrificing for now your need for pillows or the like.

    "You is kind- you is smart- you is important!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly, I'm in my third year of being free of nicotine and loving my life to the fullest!

      Delete
  4. Hi Dear One,
    You've been missed, I'll admit, but I always know you are up to something special and wonderful. Like sharing your day with Elliot. Hiking in the outdoors. Sharing walks with Richard. Talking with Emily...you know the important things in life! Keep doing those things and all else will fall where it may...as it should.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard when projects poke and prod at you. With me, I'm either way too busy or I got nothin'. I much prefer to be busy - it forces me to be organized!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if this is right, but it sounds like you're the type of person who focuses on everyone but herself.
    I think doing something for yourself may be good idea, especially if you're feeling a little overwhelmed.

    I need to get out in nature. It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny! Ah yes, we do both have that voice in our heads don't we! I don't like her much but maybe she is trying to help you out. I think doing something nice for yourself is important once in awhile to nourish your soul. Working with potted plants always puts me in a wonderful and relaxed frame of mind.

    So, you're homeschooling your son? How is that working out for you? It sounds like you found a nice group to get together with. I'm assuming from your post that you are a bit closer to the city than we are here. We're in Catawba County near Lake Norman. I've thought about homeschooling my son. He's four and since his birthday falls in November he can't even start the public head start program until September of this year. If he doesn't attend "More at Four" then he'll be here at home until next year and I know he's itching to get out and be at school with the other kids. He keeps telling me how much he can't wait to ride the schoolbus. We do school type activities here every day but nothing "formal." He's learning to write his letters now.

    Thanks for stopping by and following my blog! I was so excited to hear that you're a transplant from the mitten too and our names are so similar...what a small world. I did reply to your comment on my blog but I'm not sure if you'll have time to circle back and read it (I always forget to do that when I leave comments on blogs.), so I'll repeat myself here, lol. My middle name is actually Lynne but my dad used to call me Jennifer Juniper after the Donovan song, so that's where my blog "alias" comes from. Did your parents name you after that song? I think June is such a oool middle name! :)

    No, we haven't found any coney dogs here :( I keep telling my husband that we should open a coney island with coney/burger/chili fries and all the greek food they have at a lot of the coneys back home. I don't see how it could fail. Everyone loves a good coney dog! And I sure miss the greek salads I used to get back home. We did find one restaurant near Gastonia that has some greek and italian food but no coneys. I've never had one of the red hot dogs you mentioned. That sounds frightening!

    I'm really glad we found each other here and I look forward to getting to know you better through your blog. Hope you have a great weekend!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn,
      We are just outside the Greensboro city limit, but have access to lots of wooded hiking trails and are within walking distance to Lake Brandt. How great that you live so close to Lake Norman. I've always wanted to visit that area. We enjoy homeschool and it's working for Elliot. I think if your son is excited to go to school then that's a good sign to encourage him to go. Home schooling can take up a great deal of time and resources depending on your level of engagement. Some parents like to unschool, but we're just not at that point.
      Thank you so much for stopping by today and sharing a comment. It made my day!

      Delete
  8. Really nice to hear of your time with Elliot and that the weather has allowed for you to enjoy some wonderful time outdoors. Hope you guys enjoy a wonderful weekend and do consider doing something for yourself.

    "Indulgence rare to pleasures lendeth zest"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenny. Good to see you here today my friend. It must be lovely for you to be enjoying that lovely weather, and to be able to do all those lovely things this week. It seems that Elliot is having a good time! I think it is much better to exercise twice a day, rather than to pound away all in one go. Kinder on the body I think!! Perhaps it is time for you to pamper yourself just a little. Be kind to yourself! Have a lovely weekend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!