Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Guest House

I'm struggling.  It's January.  The weather is mild but suddenly I'm starting to have an incredible load of feelings.  So I'm running to bury myself in poetry for a little while.

The Guest House   by   Rumi

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this and agree with it, Jenny. To be alive is to have an incredible load of feelings. You have them. I have them. We all do. Don't let them incapacitate you. Don't try to run and hide from them. Don't spend all your time analyzing. Make it okay to be feeling whatever you're feeling. Groove on it. If you find that certain feelings no longer serve you there are techniques to vanish them. You're in the driver's seat. You call the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm- I truly enjoyed reading this, but enjoyed even more what it evoked in me. It's a very good reminder in this time of hustle and bustle to treat people honorably, no matter what situations swirl around us.

    I wish we could go out and take a run together as that's always such a great way for me to tune out negativity and focus on the spiritual.

    Thank you for sharing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, I would love to go running with you! So I'll think of you being by my side today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny. I agree with Shady - try not to analyze things too much. Just go with the flow!! I don't go running, but I do like going for walks. Trouble is, it's so damp and dreary over here at the moment, that it's just not conducive to do that, which is such a shame, Still, each week is getting just that little bit lighter, and I live in hope that we might get some brighter days in January. Take care sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm casting my net with everyone else. Just don't let the guest called depression overstay your welcome. Running as you are doing is the best way to keep that unwanted guest at bay. Life is overwhelming on a bad day...exhausting on a good day...but so important everyday!
    Loves~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh... I LIKE that poem! Very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!