Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Homesick Heart

Yesterday I began the day saying that something good was going to happen.  And it did!  Actually, lots of good things happened throughout the day, and if I had not said that magic phrase, I might have taken them all for granted.
Over the holidays, I made time to clean and sort all of our educational resources for homeschool.  This resulted in a good day for Elliot, who now has a folder of work for each day of the week.  The daily folder worked like a dream.  He has a manageable, predictable set of tasks and I no longer feel the pang of guilt about whether we're not doing enough or if we're attempting too much.  While he worked at his desk, I was free to sit at my post here, not too far away, and read your comments and posts.  It was a great way to start the day.  It felt so good that when our "recess" time came, I went out to play ball too.

When school was done, Richard came home and after a little rest and time with Elliot, he helped me while I worked to photograph my new items for the shop AND made dinner!

I've named the paper house collection "Homesick Heart" because they can be used to send a message of light and love to those who are away from home. There is a space under each roof for a heartfelt message of encouragement or sentiments of love.  Of course they make lovely decorations for a mantle or nightstand, but I like that they can have an added meaning to someone who is either away at college, in a hospital or nursing home or stationed overseas.  Each one was hand cut by me, so the windows are sometimes a little crooked. Richard wants to try one of the Cricut machines because he likes things to be exact...but I'm waiting to see if that would be a worthwhile investment.  I don't know if the machines will allow you to create your own designs or if everything is preset.


It was a full day, and I'm not completely finished with capturing the night shots, but here are a few that I like.

I'm always homesick for the Outer Banks of North Carolina


This is a copy of the Little White Chapel we brought to Elizabeth in Meadow View...but I think they would also make a nice handmade wedding gift...or a way to propose!


10 comments:

  1. These are fabulous, Jenny! If you want my opinion, flaws like crooked windows only add to the charm. Tiny imperfections let the recipient know that he or she is getting a hand crafted gift rather than a mass produced, machine made item.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shady! I appreciate that thought about craftsmanship. I keep my first handmade paw which looks like roadkill so that one day I can stand up in a room and show people how I began with no skill:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These just melted my heart, Jenny! I so love that you will have them in your shop because I will be wanting to buy. I can think of several, including a young soldier who just shipped out to Afghanistan, that I'd like to send one to.

    It sounds like you have the school organization down pat, too. That's what I'm working on today- planning out this next semester. And yes, I'm agreeing with you today- something good is going to happen today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly thank you for the encouragement! I would love to send some your way:) It was comforting to realize that we're planning lessons at the same time. Too bad I couldn't be in the same room to see all the wonderful stuff you're going to share with your class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny. That must have felt so good, getting your home schooling all planned out like that. Those little houses are just so cute - my favourites are the one with the flip flops and the very last photo. That one is gorgeous! I totally agree with Shady about the windows. You don't want to have them looking as if they were just made in a factory. Your way all adds to the charm of them. Well done my friend! You have started the new year off so well. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again! I just went into your shop, to buy the Cottage Garden lantern house. There was only l, so I got all excited, but then I see that you don't ship to the United Kingdom. :( Is that because you think they might get damaged, or because of the cost? If you can find out the cost of postage to the UK, I would be more than willing to pay the extra. Anyway, see what you think my friend. (I was thinking of it as a little night light for Ruby!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool. I like the church one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Diane, I am more than happy to ship them to you in the UK! Once I have adjusted my shipping in my shop I'll drop a line. Thanks so much! You made my day:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think these are a great idea! (Love the night shots where they're lit up) And I'm with Shady on the crooked windows - they just add to the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm just so happy for you with these. you do such a good job. you have vision to go along with your talent.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!