Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Elliot and the Beave



Recently I've made a new blogging friend that I'd like to share with my family and friends. Shady Dell Music and Memories is a blog that feels like a living place, where the music is always playing. While songs of a treasured past roll out, a story scrolls down... of people building community in an extraordinary way. The Shady Dell was essentially a teen club where heady adolescence was allowed to thrive in an almost entirely self-regulated environment. Although the building and the founders are gone, it now exists in memory...a memory that comes to life each week with nostalgia for those who shared this journey, and discovery for those who came later.

Shady's blog reminds us that in our culture we tend to look to the future for our knowledge and entertainment. We're all about what's happening now, and have a collective amnesia about the existence of our past. When we think of history, we sometimes think of it in terms of "academic" history...the history in text books, ancient history or the stuff that's reported to us on the History channel. How often do we sit with someone who lived just a little bit earlier for a living account of how the world was for them? In listening to our past, we have a great resource to enrich our own lives in this moment right now. This week on Shady's blog there's a clip from Leave it to Beaver. I realized that Elliot would appreciate this show and allowed him to watch it on lunch break yesterday. In our house we have something called "broadcast cable" which is just enough channels to get the evening news and PBS. So even though Elliot is aware of Nickelodeon and Disney, 24 hour a day cartoons are not available. Maybe his limited exposure to tv has made an impact, but whatever the reason, he was instantly enthralled with the black and white images on the screen. I found a longer clip of the Leave it to Beaver pilot show, where Beaver is experiencing second grade. I was instantly endeared to Beaver's pronunciation of words and his sweet face. Elliot liked that Beaver was a second grader. His first reaction to the show was to continually ask me questions:

"Is this about Justin Beiber?" (he's never seen Justin Beiber, but has heard the name from his friends)

While a girl in Beaver's classroom read a story about a picnic, a story in which every sentence ended with the word picnic, Elliot said in a sing-song voice "Annoying!" And I said, "she's learning how to read. Aren't you glad you had different kinds of books that had interesting sentences? School is different now." Then he wondered aloud if my classroom was like that. I said that it was similar, but that Beaver's class was probably more like Grandma's classroom.

When Beaver came home and had a dialogue with his parents about school, Elliot said "he has nice parents." Then for a little while he stopped asking questions and got swept up in the story of how Beaver was afraid to give his mother a note from his teacher, and how he and Wally pretended to take a bath. He immediately picked up on the double standard of talking about dishonesty (Beaver hiding the note and how Wally said that's not a good idea) and only pretending to take a bath. He said, "is this a lesson show?" Then he spent the rest of the time picking up on every little dishonest act as Beaver's lie about the note grew bigger and bigger. Unfortunately we could not find the conclusion of the pilot on YouTube so we're left not knowing how it all worked out.

Hours later in the day, while we were driving around town, I realized that Elliot is at an incredibly moral stage of life. He fully believes in keeping the Ten Commandments, and has gone so far as to interpret "bear false witness" as "lying." He'll often say "thou shalt not lie is one of the ten commandments." Elliot struggles with his own morality and has since he was a small child. In our Quaker preschool he was introduced to pacifism and the dilemma about war still leaves him conflicted. The truth is, Elliot is very attracted to war, and soldiers, and his Star Wars movies and games. After sitting quietly in the car for nearly 20 minutes yesterday, he said this: "If I went to war and only killed droids, it would be okay. That way I wouldn't be killing God's creation. So I finally found away around that one!" And I was blown away that for the last four years he has been trying to untangle the inexplicable knot of war and peace to his advantage. Of course, we carried on this conversation at the dinner table, and Richard wisely pointed out that the only way to be truly moral is to not engage in any kind of war no matter if you are just killing droids. Because as soon as you take on the mindset of destruction, you are at war and that is not peace.

And my son accepted this with grace. But knowing Elliot, I don't think he's finished trying to work it out. Too bad there's not a show that can help him out with that!

13 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you highlighted Shady's blog- not only is his blog a wonderful, warm place to visit and learn so much about music, his blog shadows his personality, which is just as wonderful and warm.

    I love what you wrote about Leave it to Beaver and Elliot's reactions to it. There's so much to be gained from those wholesome shows. I love I Love Lucy (and am watching it right now while we get ready). Although both those shows were made before I was born, I feel like I am in my element when I watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, you are a wonderful friend and I am deeply touched by your generosity! Thank you very much for letting your readers know about my blog and about the Shady Dell. Clearly you have an understanding of the people, the place and the time.

    I very much enjoyed reading about Elliot's first exposure to Leave it to Beaver and his reaction to it. Although the series is 50 years old the lessons to be learned are still relevant today. It's clear to me that you and Richard are the modern equivalent of June and Ward, caring parents actively involved in your child's life and development. People like you and your husband produce the outstanding citizens of tomorrow and help build a stronger America.

    Thank you again, Jenny, for this mandate. I am elated to have found a friend like you! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Shady, Richard and I are not like Ward and June...we are hippies and rebels...you're ruining my self image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. thank you for saying it though...it's nice to have a little boost of confidence during the journey as a parent. We are not perfect and I have anxiety about the many challenges of being a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny, I wanted to add that my elementary school classroom was similar to Beaver's but my brother, who is ten years older, attended a one room schoolhouse in the country from the mid 1940s thru the early 50s at which time we moved to suburbia and he enrolled at a high school like Wally's.

    I also want to say that I admire you and Richard for the manner in which you are explaining the concept of war to Elliot. As I wrote on another blog recently my plan to stamp out hate is to love it to death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Shady, it's one of life's best gifts to have a child and another to share the journey with Richard. It's my intention to provide an alternative voice to the conventional teachings and popular media that prepare men and women for battle. If Elliot decides one day that he wants to be in the military, I will accept it and be proud of him (my brother and father were both in the USAF.) But if he makes that decision, I will take comfort knowing that at one time he was conflicted...A person who enters war has usually been programmed to accept it completely and without question. I will prepare my son for the occasion and reality war by first teaching him peace. By allowing him to question and have an alternative. But it is not an easy thing to do. Especially when I have trouble avoiding a tendency to be combative in incidences of frustration and anger. It is not popular to be a pacifist and not easy to model. It's more of an attempt which I sometimes bungle. Thank you for continuing the conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The more I know about you the more I like you, dear friend! You are part of the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny. Dear Shady has been a friend of mine for quite a while now. He really is such a kind and wise man, and it was lovely that you decided to showcase his Blog like this. I know that he will be very touched by that. Elliot is very lucky indeed to have a mum and dad like you and Richard, and really good that he is questioning things at such a young age. Hugs to you dear Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you're taking the time to talk through topics like this with Elliot. He sounds like such thoughtful and smart kid. His comment about the droids made me laugh--droid pacifism is a tough thing to teach!

    I've seen Shady's comments on the blog of another person I follow. I'll have to stop by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shady is right on the mark here! Jenny - you are a wonderful role model. I'm constantly amazed and left deep in thought when I leave your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of those old shows - when I was young (50's and 60's) every show had some kind of moral to it. A lesson to be learned. Not so today. I'm glad you're so careful about how and what you teach your son - what a good mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jenny,
    Late to the party, but I know you understand how I've been off lately. My husband and I like to think we were both 'conservative hippies' if there is such a thing. As a teen in the 60's we both were anti war...but never thank goodness bought into the drug scene. Not that we weren't surrounded by it...parties were full of them, friends and family lost their lives to them. Anyway the point I really wanted to make is you raise your children as best you can giving them your insight along the way. Those are the roots people often write of. The wings are letting them go to experience and make their own decisions on how to experience the world on their own. I can't tell you the chill that went deep into my heart when I heard one of my sons swear to give his life to his country when he gave the oath for the US Air Force on three different occasions. He served his time and is now working for the US Govt. I remember everyone telling us how proud we must feel that he had joined the Air Force...honestly I kept wondering where I went wrong. But I am proud of the fact we raised five 'individuals' who have minds and desires of their own and the knowledge we love them and encourage them to find their own paths. So good for you allowing Elliot to see all the ramifications of life and knowing you will let him follow whatever and wherever his dreams lead.
    Loves~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sush I am full of emotion after reading your comment today. It is such a deep and complicated path through the emotional forest of parenthood. I'm vocal and passionate and spunky; but I have to allow my children to think their own thoughts and live their own lives. I think I would feel exactly like you if my son ever takes that kind of oath. Just today my brother shared that he had the same conflict that Elliot is going through when he was a boy. In college he joined the ROTC, and later left it because he just couldn't get around the idea of the killing that is involved in war-making. Our youngest brother was in the Air Force and supported our nation in a non combat area, and also toured with the USAF band Tops in Blue. He works as a civil servant in his chosen field and is enjoying his life to the fullest. His devotion and love for the men and women who serve is something that humbles me. And Sush, I appreciate your perspective on family life so much.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!