Friday, January 6, 2012

When You're Struggling

 Hi Friends,

Thank goodness the weekend is nearly here because I'm ready for some down time.  It's a myth that people who work from home get to sit around in their jammies all day drinking coffee and chatting with their friends with no interruptions or a multitude of other responsibilities.

Sometimes I struggle.

Especially when I hear things that have the effect of making things I work at seem absolutely worthless.  Someone recently said that I'm not a business person.  I tried not to let this bother me because I spend a lot of time learning how to make my own version of a business.  It probably looks like a weak and pathetic attempt to the skilled and experienced eye. 

  It is a blessing to  live in a time where a creative person doesn't have to be a big important somebody in order to engage in the great exchange of handmade goods.   It's true I don't have a stamp of business person authenticity.  I'd rather just be a person.

The individual who said this to me followed up the comment with this little token of comfort:

"but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a business."

If I think about that too much I might revert to my cranky, irritable, sullen state of mind.  A state that was just recently starting to melt away.

What do you do when you're struggling?  Sometimes I look outwards for courage and inspiration to go forward.  Sometimes the practice of sitting in silence and solitude is helpful.

I'm going to remember this quote from Soulseeds and move on:


"I’ve been thinking about what it means to live with no strings attached; giving yourself fully to each moment with no expectation that your efforts are going to be rewarded, or even noticed, planning your next steps with no certainty of the outcomes, pouring yourself into a cause without knowing where it will take you or if it’s going to be effective."  Ian Lawton

And also this one:

Popularity is a false measure of merit ~Amy Tan

4 comments:

  1. Don't you just love insults disguised as compliments, Jenny? If you and I let them they can hurt us more than blatant criticism. Self-actualization is sometimes a struggle but I am learning to sort by self, not by others. If I believe in myself it matters not what the other guy thinks. I recognize a v.i.p. when I encounter one and that's my impression of you. Press on, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a hurtful comment that person made to you, a person who doesn't understand the true meaning of a business person. Unless that individual hands out golden plaques that say BUSINESS PERSON, I wouldn't put much weight with their opinion. Anyone who creates the beautiful things you create and has the savvy to market them they way you do is the very heart of a business woman.

    As far as what I do to get away from negative thoughts: I find running really helps to clear my soul from any lingering negatives. Running also helps me to amplify and dwell on the postives. And of course, prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny. Who on earth said that to you, that you're not a business person. Whoever it was, they should have just kept quiet. I don't agree with them at all my friend. You're a brilliant example to us all. How dare they say that about you?! Please try to ignore it, and just carry on doing what you're doing. Believe with all of your heart that you will do what you were made to do. Hugs my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry your struggling. I'm not sure the context of the conversation, but I think it's a compliment for someone to say you're not a business person. I think the term business person has a bit of a negative connotation. And I've known some very successful people in business who have really struggled at times.

    Anyhow, I hope you're giving yourself credit for all that you do!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!