Monday, January 16, 2012

A Great Read

Trying to stay "unplugged" is more challenging than I thought it would be.  Yesterday's back story and photos weren't part of the plan.  So today I'm going to make an attempt to talk less.  Lover of language that I am, talking less sometimes translates into reading more.

I once read an amazing story that helped to open my eyes to the world, particularly the middle eastern part of it.  Don't worry, I'm not going to head east and adopt a veil.  But this story is the most accessible avenue I've taken into at least trying to understand a culture and a people who are currently "the bad guys" in our media.  If you enjoyed Khaled Husseni's The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns (I bawled my eyes out!) then you might enjoy Azar Nafisi's Reading Lolita in Tehran.



The back cover reads:
   
      Every Thursday morning for two years in the Islamic Republic of Iran, a bold and inspired teacher named Azar Nafisi secretly gathered seven of her most committed female students to read forbidden Western classics.  As Islamic morality squads staged arbitrary raids in Tehran, fundamentalists seized hold of the universitites, and a blind censor stifled artistic expression, the girls in Azar's living room risked removing their veils and immersed themselves in the worlds of Jane Austen, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Henry James, and Vladimir Nabokov.

My favorite quote comes from a scene in which Azar is having a deep conversation with "her magician" (a male friend who she had to meet secretly due to the risk of being seen with a man who was not her husband...but a man who was known as a family friend and a colleague).  Azar's magician says,

"Do what all poets do with their philosopher-kings.  You don't need to create a parallel fantasy of the West.  Give them the best of what the other world can offer: give them pure fiction---give them back their imagination!  You keep talking about democratic spaces, about the need for personal and creative spaces.  Well, go and create them woman!  Stop nagging and focusing your energy on what the Islamic Republic does or says and start focusing on your Austen."





6 comments:

  1. My heart tore when I read A Thousand Splendid Suns. Oh my- whooo. Such emotions. I also found Kite Runner gripping. I have not yet read Reading Lolita in Tehran, but it's on my list.

    I find that culture fascinating. The people as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Thousand Splendid Suns is one of my very favourite books. Loved the female friendship that it portrayed, although it was very sad in places. I haven't heard of that other book at all, but I shall definitely put it on to my "to read" list. Thanks for the recommendation, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read...my problem is I can't put the books down. So I haven't read in a long long time. When my husband bought me an ipad for Christmas...and I can get all the kindle books..I decided that I would make a commitment to only read while working out. (my workouts aren't too intense since I'm 8 mo. preggo)
    With that said...I am so excited to read these books...but I am so nervous to be walking on the treadmill at the gym in front of all kinds of people..and be crying my eyes out! :)
    Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherri, thank you so much for visiting today! I really enjoy reading your blog. You spread a lot of sunshine and love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I smiled when I read Shelly and Diane's comments on the two Husseni novels...it seems we are all kindred spirits in the reading world. I haven't heard of the novel you suggested today but will be reading it shortly. I love novels set in cultures and parts of the world we differ from. We should embrace differences in our world and learn more from them.
    Sounds like a lovely read.
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sush,
    Thank you for stopping by today. I love what you wrote about embracing differences. That kind of thinking will heal the world.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!