Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Gift of Grace

During one of the most liberating and alternately devastating times of my life, I told my new friend Richard that I felt that God did not love me anymore.

Richard's response was to hug me and speak this phrase softly in my ear.  "Of course God loves you, Jenny."

And even though I had been going to church nearly every Sunday of my life, for the first time, I really believed that truth.

That statement helped to restore me to a state of grace that I felt had been irrevocably lost.

In fact, it was the nicest, most empowering thing anyone has ever said to me.  The effect of it is still working in my life on a daily basis.

And sometimes relationships are complicated.  Sometimes we can end up saying things that hurt.  Sometimes it's difficult to find a true place of forgiveness in our hearts.  It's difficult until we remember that the person we love and who loves us has said hundreds of other kind, loving things in the past.

Valentine's day is on the horizon.

And instead of worrying about what kind of material gift I could come up with for Richard, I'm going to focus on remembering all of the loving things he's said and done for me.

This week I've posted a Valentine house in the shop with a sample poem that reads:

"In your light I learn how to love.
In you beauty, how to make poems.
You dance inside my chest,
Where no one sees you,
But sometimes I do,
And that sight becomes this art." --Rumi




8 comments:

  1. How completely and utterly lovely. Richard sounds like a very wise man.

    Love can't be just about one moment but about a whole span of experiences.

    I just love your houses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a gift for turning a house into a home, Jenny. I saw your work on display over at Thisisme's and it's awesome. Happy Thursday to you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so easy to focus on the negative's rather than the postive's but life really is too short to let anything other than love in...

    Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny. What a lovely post, and that little Valentine house is so cute. Love all the little hearts on it. As you know, I am trying hard to make this year a positive one, and to really concentrate on the good things and blessings that I have. Obviously, the negative things are going to appear, but I shall just dust them aside, and just hang on to those good thoughts. This is such a good idea of yours to, rather than think of a material thing for Richard, really appreciate all the good and kind things that he has done for you. I see that my daughter has made an appearance on your blog today!! Sending big hugs your way my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love is a wonderful thing isn't it?! I like your houses a lot :)
    Have a lovely day!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  6. how beautiful! love the house and love the poem!

    i have often felt that God no longer loved me. when i'm in the dumps and having a particularly down period, it's easy to feel that way. some days it's all i can do to convince myself that i am worthy of His love.

    i agree with shady - you do have a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Richard is a sweet guy. You are lucky to have each other.

    Your house is brilliant in so many ways. :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!